Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I wondered if you could point me in the right direction. The

Customer Question

Hi, I wondered if you could point me in the right direction. The side of my property is alongside an unadopted road. The land immediately at the side of my fence (6ft) is owned by someone else. My land is freehold and the terraced houses on the unadopted road are free hold. There are trees in need of cutting down at the edge of the unadpoted road which borders the owner of the 6ft piece, the council say its not there responsibility as not there land but it seems no one owns it so I assume it is unadopted. If i've know one to dispute this with can i just cut the trees down?Thanks
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No just an enquiry at this stage
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Its exact location like a postcode do you mean? its at the side of my house but isn't my land. Its my land then 6 ft is someone else then the road bit is unadopted and the trees are damaging my property.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope thats it very basic query hopefully
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would be most greatful if you could give me some ways of exploring this
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

The duty to maintain any unadopted road lies jointly on the residents/home owners of that road.

Any party whose property is damaged in the accident due to road condition or trees on such road, would have a claim against the home owners, maintenance of it ,is the responsibility of the property or properties that jointly owned the private access road

Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

I hope this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Its not a private road as such just a road never adopted by the council so its like a single track dirt road if that makes sense. Like you get on a back street behind a terraced house. Not surfaced with tarmac. Houses only on one side and my fence opposite. Is that still the case then that it would be the residents of the road or would it include me as well. My house isn't on that street just the side of my property borders the 6 ft of adopted land that borders the road. the person that owns the 6 ft won't maintain it because the trees are on the boundary of the unadopted road. Hope that makes sense
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i don't need to call you just to clarify the above basically.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can you answer the query above that just to clarify my query and your reply. thanks
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

I will go through your reply and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Even if the road is dirt road even then the resident of the road is liable to maintain the road as well as the trees on it.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok thanks for the help
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.