james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I’m looking for advice about withdrawing a witness statement

Customer Question

Hi. I’m looking for advice about withdrawing a witness statement that is due to be held in court ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: alton Hampshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Is this regards ***** ***** or civil case?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s criminal

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

Then in this case there is no way to withdraw the statement or stop its use at a criminal court proceedings.

You are able to contact the police, and arrange to make a second witness statement. In that second statement, you can correct anything in the first one, or say that you do not support a prosecution etc.

The new statement would then be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service to review.

They will then decide whether to use your original statement as evidence or not.

They can choose to do so and serve both statements to the defence lawyers.

The CPS can also witness summons you to court to give evidence.