John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I am struggling with a tenant who is being uncooperative.

Customer Question

Hello, I am struggling with a tenant who is being uncooperative. Prior to 2020, he was in arrears. He is now withholding rent, claiming the property is not habitable, despite the fact that he had not previously told us about the issues before. We have sent contractors out to assess and repair the work, however, he refuses to pay rent until he has firm dates for certain works (this includes cosmetic works). We are unsure what to do.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wales.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have address all the issues raised. Due to the lockdown, there have been delays, however, we are sending another builder to assess the work this week, in hopes of completing it sooner. The tenant is still five months in arrears though and refuses to pay rent.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  John replied 9 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for your message, and sorry to hear about this. As long as you're fulfilling your obligations as a landlord in trying to fix any issues with the property to make it habitable then there are unlikely to be any penalties. If the tenant refuses to pay rent you should consider beginning the eviction process. For rent arrears it is a section 8 notice that will need to be served. If a tenant is 6 months or more in rear arrears you can give 4 weeks notice. Less than 6 months and it is 6 months notice.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 9 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John