Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have some questions regarding what can be patented, uk,

Customer Question

Hi, I have some questions regarding what can be patented
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it's a software method
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My main concern is whether it is still patentable since I have already created an app and website disclosing what the app achieves. I'm hoping the method with which the result is achieved is still patentable
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Sorry can you clarify your question please, is your question can a software method be patented? Is the software your own or just the method?

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous. Without a further response I can only give a general answer which is that generally methods cannot be patented or protected. If you have come up with a new design you might be able to get design protection but this is not as strong as a patent: https://www.gov.uk/register-a-design

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.