Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a problem with my gas and electric company. they are

Customer Question

hi there, I have a problem with my gas and electric company. they are charging me £1700 extra with no reason why and refusing to explain. when i complained they have just increased the direct debit without notice. what are my rights and what should I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: west yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: tried to contact them, emailed them, phones several times. complete irresponsive
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

You need to write to them and make a formal complaint. Do not call or mail them.

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then go to the Energy Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What powers do the ombudsman hold to help resolve this
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
or this a trading standard type complaints where nothing will actually be done? (if you know what i mean!)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

They can make recommendations and the Energy Co's normally comply.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
if they dont? what are my rights?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

You can sue them for significant damages.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

My pleasure