Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

We have an 8 foot high wall on the road boundary of our

Customer Question

We have an 8 foot high wall on the road boundary of our property with the wet weather it collapsed into the highway which is an A road with a 40 mph speed limit. A car hit the rubble early in the morning before dawn. Are we liable for the damage to the vehicle
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The site is near Frome in Somerset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 9 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform.

It depends on many factors. We do not know what has exactly happened. The accident could have been caused by many factors! However, the first thing you should be doing is to contact your insurer (who will then tell you that you should not be formally accepting any liability and the should b dealing with any potential claims). Have you been approached by the driver / anyone yet?

*they should be dealing

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We have already contacted our insurance company. The accident was caused by the rubble being in the road then the car hit the heap in the dark

Thanks for this. Then you did the right thing. You may be potentially liable for it as the rubble originated from your property but you are in good hands as if there is any chance you are not liable for the damage - the insurance company will tell you that.

I hope this helps. Let me know please if you have any follow up questions.