Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I have a friend who had an issues with his van, he took itto

Customer Question

I have a friend who had an issues with his van, he took itto a garage to find out what was wrong they said it was afuel pump which needed replacing, which was going to cost £800, while they were doing this they called and said two injectors would also have to be replaced at a cost of £400, he asked if this would sort the problem out they said 100%, he gave them the go-ahead to carry out the work. collected the van paid the £1200, which the gave a years guarantee on, he got the van home and noticed the van still had a problem, called them up but this was Christmas, eve they said could you come in the new year it took until the third week in January, they looked at the van again and said it was now the other two injectors needed replacing, then they called to say they have replaced the two injectors, but now they belived it was the EUC unit which they cannot fix and we must collect the Van but it can now not be driven even through we drove it there and we must at our cost have it recovered from there garage and get it fixed some where else., We have said if you are unable to fix it give us back the £1200 since your unable to fix it and we will take it to another garage but they are refusing can you please advise
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: HAR CHARAN MOTOR MIDLANDS LTD*****Smethwick Birmingham B66 2AX
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have been to the garage on numerus times but no joy
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it in a nutshell
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 11 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

From the circumstances given it appears your rights under the consumers rights act 2015 has been breached. This is because it states services provided must be performed with reasonable care and skill. In view of the works undertaken it appears the service given did not meet the standards expected given the agreement was to fix the van for the price quoted.

The remedies available to you is price reduction which can be up to 100% of the amount paid, repairs until the issue is fixed and you can consider hiring someone else to do the job and then claim the money back from the people that did the defective works.

In view of this I suggest you write to the repairer and remind them of your rights under the Consumers Rights Act 2015. Inform them to release the vehicle so you can obtain an independent quote to fix the vehicle and assess the works they have done. Assuming the independent repairer states that the works already undertaken was below standard then you have a potential claim against the initial repairer for the works they have done and money paid to them. If they continue to refuse access to the vehicle then i suggest you consider reporting them to trading standards as they can step in to assist you with this issue.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe