Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

We are currently selling our house and are in a chain to

Customer Question

We are currently selling our house and are in a chain to purchase another house.We paid off our mortgage at the beginning of Feb. Our mortgage account was closed and
We are waiting for our mortgage company to send the discharge form to the land registry which could take up to the 11th March.Once they send confirmation to us and discharge form to land registry to update our deeds. Can we still exchange on the house chain or do we have to wait for land registry to make the updates to the deeds.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Yes paperwork is with mortgage company
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

1. You can go ahead and exchange on the house chain before the Land Registry updates your deeds. Essentially, to exchange a contract, you simply need to show a good title and this can be shown by the documents which show the discharge of your mortgage. So, you should go ahead and exchange a contract on your next transaction because you now have got the previous transaction sorted out.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Buachaill replied 17 days ago.

2. You are welcome! Glad to be of assistance.