Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I want to know how to terminate my contract, it’s with a law

Customer Question

I want to know how to terminate my contract
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: it’s with a law firm
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: i have sent an email stating I want to terminate then held a meeting which went bad.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes the law firm has offices in the U.K. but head office and team are in India
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
please continue to search I will wait. Thank you.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 days ago.

Can you explain a little more about the contract? Can you upload a copy using the paperclip icon above the textbox?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Jeremy, Yes I will upload a copy of the contract for you to review.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Uploaded for you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am a British born Indian. I wanted legal representative to deal with my late fathers property matter in India. I specifically chose NRI Legal Services Ltd UK because they have a base in England and I do not know the laws of India. They sold me an "all-inclusive" service package but have not delivered. I engaged in 2018 but I still do not have a civil suit registered in the courts of India because of their negligence. I asked to terminate my contract and requested a full refund. A meeting was held in January 2021 and the founder of the company verbally shouted at me, she did not let me speak and told me that I will not get a penny. I have left the matter open at the moment but cannot deal with this company any longer and wish to leave but need to understand my rights and the best approach to exit.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for sending the agreement. The difficulty you have is that under the terms of the contract you have no legal basis to terminate the agreement. At the same time, the agreement itself in the event of dispute is governed under the laws of India meaning disputes could not be raised in the U.K. or if they were they could easily be challenged on that basis. You might be able to argue breach of contract and try and get out the agreement that way but you would need to consult an Indian lawyer on that point. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.
Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Jeremy, thank you for your response. Is the contract not considered as unfair as it doesn’t give me (the client) a chance to terminate? Would that not be covered by UK law as a service sold in the U.K.?

No it would only be governed by UK law if the contract specified it would be governed by UK law but it does not. The clause has what is known as a choice of law provision in this case India, the basic principle behind this is that the parties can agree where they want their dispute decided if any under a contract and what law applies, in this case you agreed India so that is the law that applies. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Jeremy thank you for clarifying.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

Happy to help, take care.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Jeremy I just wanted to ask your opinion if that’s ok. At the meeting with NRI Legal Services, the founder said said I can leave but I won’t get a penny. With the exception of loosing my money, is it better to walk out of this type of contract?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 5 days ago.

It is a really bad contract for you so not taking into account lost money it is better to leave the contract anyway you can without being penalised further. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for your opinion Jeremy. It’s very much appreciated.

Happy to help, take care.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is there anything I should ask for in writing before leaving?

No I think just leave. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thanks
No problem take care
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have a power of attorney holder with them. How can I cancel this?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They would need to revoke this for me so that I can engage elsewhere
Said them an email to confirm you revoke it. Take care
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Right ok. Thanks.
Take care