12826847

I privately sold my car to a gentleman on the 1st Dec 2020

Customer Question

I privately sold my car to a gentleman on the 1st Dec 2020 with a new MOT the vehicle was my daily vehicle and in very good condition it was a 17year old vehicle, nearly 3 months later I have received letters saying they want their money back because they hadn’t used it for the first month of ownership and the battery had died which then bought up ecu messages.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: not as yet
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have replied with a returned letter saying we are sorry for their problems but the vehicle was delivered to them in good working order
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have now received a second letter claiming the car has cost them £1200 to have a wheel alignment done.they are now threatening court
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I want to be able to return a letter with the knowledge I am correct when I say the vehicle was in as far as I was aware in very good condition. The mechanic who MOT’d the car 10 days prior to sale had also mentioned it was the best he had seen for a while for its age.
I just don’t know what they have done to the car between sale and now.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for the information

If you are a private seller then the only way he has a case against you is to argue that there was a misrepresentation.

Obviously he needs to prove a misrepresentation.

If you have a mechanic who looked at it only a short time ago and he can say that the faults that they are complaining about were not there at the time of sale then I don't think you need to worry about this very much.

There is no point in entering into long conversations with him though. Just tell him that you are not paying because you do not believe that you are liable and if you are sued then you will defend this ansi costs

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Jo. Just to clarify. What do you mean by ansi costs
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

that should have read and apply for costs.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Do you think it would be advisable to ask to have a solicitor write a response on my behalf?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Not really. Its a small claims court sum so wouldn't need solicitors.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully,I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions.Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/