james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My partner was put on a life licence over 20 years ago for

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My partner was put on a life licence over 20 years ago for unintentionally killing someone in self defence. He has never been in trouble before, during his sentence he gained 3 degrees and never been in trouble since. However, 20 months ago he was blamed for growing 16 canabis plants in a property he rented with his then wife, even though his wife and landlord were in on the arrangement. His wife and landlord have not been charged. He was about to leave his wife and so she called the police and blamed him. It took 18 months before he was called to prison. He was sent to crown court. His probation officer and police did not believe it was necessary for him to go to back to prison but the barrister sentenced him to 18 months of which he said he will serve 9 months. My question is, can he apply for HDC? He has served 3 months in prison now.
JA: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?
Customer: They jury said murder even thought the judge said it was self defence
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: He is waiting to see a solicitor but everything is taking so long because of the pandemic
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thank you

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
He has been given an 18 month sentence for the cannabis offence, was he also recalled to prison on licence ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don't believe he was recalled no. He spent 18 months free before being summoned to court
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, I will stick with the text rather than call, thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Are you still looking into this for me?

If no recall has taken place, then yes he could be considered for HDC. This would automatically take place by the prison at the relevant review time.

I have attached the process for you.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/950856/home-detention-curfew-pf.pdf

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much, really appreciate your help.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.