UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

It was brought to my attention on Wednesday that the tenant

Customer Question

It was brought to my attention on Wednesday that the tenant I am subletting a room from is subletting to me illegally, obviously unknowingly. Myself and my partner had only moved in on the Saturday, 4 days before. What are my rights/can any criminal case/charge be brought against me and my partner?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Central London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, other than looking at moving out
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlord has been badgering me to file a police report against the fraud that sublet to me and my partner. We haven’t done so yet as I don’t feel comfortable whilst residing in the same house as the person in question. As I have not done this so far, the landlord has today threatened to include me in the lawsuit.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Correction - myself and my partner didn’t know we were subletting illegally. The tenant who sublet to us knew he was breaching his contract with the landlord. Myself and my partner never signed a contract, it was all verbal and I have bank statements proving rent and texts to substantiate this.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The landlord has said that the property belongs to the bank of Mongolia and will be taking action
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 9 days ago.

No, you have not committed a crime and you do not need to worry. The landlord is simply trying to scare you and you should ask him to stop or you may report him to the police.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The landlord (we believe) has shut the water off since Wednesday and we have not had access since. We have spoken to the police, fire service, council, Thames Water, property management and no one can help. What can we do to get this back on from a legal standpoint? Also, in terms of us living in the property, do we need to vacate within a certain time frame or are we within our rights to wait for an eviction notice?

Shutting off the water could amount to illegal eviction. However, as you have been in contact with all the usual bodies and no one is willing to assist, it may be in your interests to vacate the room and move elsewhere unless you are willing to go through the stress, expense and inconvenience of fighting this.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay, thank you for your advice we plan to move ASAP. Are we within our rights to file a police report against he landlord for shutting off the water? It’s now been 77 hours without it.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Also, final question- what is the best way about reclaiming our money spend on rent and a deposit? £1700 in total

Yes, you may file a police complaint against the landlord for shutting off the water and you may file a claim in the small claims court for your money at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

All the best

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your help. All the best
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 8 days ago.

You are welcome.