Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I want to leave a negative review about a company. They are

I want to leave a negative review about a company. They are trying to claim that it is defamatory and slanderous.
It states my opinion only, I don’t refer to anything being factual. But say I believe people should have this information, I think that, etc.
However, I understand that if the review is left out of malice then it can be considered defamatory.
I can’t honestly say that I’m not angry towards this company, but I don’t feel I’m acting with malicious intent. Could they still take legal action, like they are threatening to do?
How does someone prove a review to be malicious?

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform.

As long as your review is true, backed up by evidence and without unnecessary emotions (where possible) you should have nothing to worry about.

In terms of taking legal action - in theory they can take legal action at any time, but if you are stating the facts, then they are unlikely to go too far with it.

I hope this helps. Fell free to ask any follow up questions.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, that’s very helpful and reassuring. Many Thanks

My pleasure, just be factual and do not state anything which you cannot back up with evidence. Best of luck.