Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My freehold property has a shared alleyway with my neoghbour

My freehold property has a shared alleyway with my neoghbour leading from front to back garden. Can I buy the neighbours share of the alleway way and add it to my freehold?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None at all, I'm right at the beginning of finding out whether it is feasible.
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: I own the freehold to my house, which includes half of the alleyway at the side. I have the deeds.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: will it cost me anything?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Yes, you can buy the share of the alleyway between you and your neighbour if you want and add it to your Folio in the Land Registry. What you pay for it will depend upon what price your neighbour wants for this piece of land. So, you need to negotiate with him for the half of the alleyway that you don't own. It can be added to your property once you buy it. I would advise you to get a solicitor to help you with the conveyancing once you have agreed a price with your neighbour and to register the land as yours in the Land Registry.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. Can you advise me as to how I would go about getting a value for this small piece of land, or is it simply a question of an agreeing an amount between us?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not at this stage thank you, ***** ***** are in a position to answer my last question I shall then speak directly to my neighbour to see if he is willing to sell before taking this any further.

2. You can speak to a local auctioneer and valuer who operates in your locality about the value they would place upon the strip of land over which the alleyway runs. However, because the land would only be of interest to very few people, it might be difficult to put a value on it. So, the value will probably have to be worked out between you and your neighbour.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. I now need to speak with my neighbour and see what he says.

3. Best of luck with it!