How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7651
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Citizen with a Zimbabwean passport and a indefinite leave to

This answer was rated:

I am Zimbabwean citizen with a Zimbabwean passport and a indefinite leave to remain BRP. I changed my last name and update my documents. How do I do this
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in England. I’ve got the NTL form for the BRP. But I’m not sure how to go about it with that passport
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?
Customer: I don’t need a green card I just need to change my name
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you I think that’s it


I am a solicitor.

Have you already changed your name by Deed Poll?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have indeed
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’d rather speak on a chat please

We do not need to have a call.

The official Home Office guidance is as follows:

"Foreign nationals without passports

Foreign nationals wanting to change their names on Home Office issued immigration documents must apply for either a Transfer of Conditions (if they have temporary leave) or a No-Time Limit (if they have indefinite leave).

Where a foreign national applies to change their name and claims not to hold a foreign issued passport or EEA Identity Card, the Home Office will only change the name on their BRP where the applicant is a recognised refugee or stateless person or has been granted Humanitarian Protection where it is has been accepted that they cannot approach their national authorities.

All other foreign nationals must produce a passport or their EEA Identity Card in the new name when applying to change their name. Successful applicants will receive evidence of their new name in the form of a BRP.

Where a person holds Home Office issued documents in the old name, such as Home Office Travel Documents, BRPs and older forms of immigration evidence they must surrender them when applying for a change of name. When a BRP is issued in a new name any Home Office Travel Documents containing the old name will be cancelled and the person will need to make a separate application for a replacement Travel Document in their new name if they want to travel overseas."

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I understand how to apply for a Jew BRP with a change of name, what I don’t undertake is how to change my name on my passport first because it is a Zimbabwean passport not British. I’ve tried to research but I’m failing to find the information
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
New ***
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Understand **

You should contact the Zimbabwe Embassy in London and check with them, usually, you would need to apply for a new passport with your new name and present the supporting deed poll to them.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I tried calling this morning, but it says the number does not accept calls from my location. I’m in Newcastle right now
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But thank you I’ll apply for a new one

You are welcome, all the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you