How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2138
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

How can I find out if I have a criminal record? I was

This answer was rated:

Hi - how can I find out if I have a criminal record? I was arrested for obstructing the highway as part of Extinction Rebellion's protest in 2019 and was found guilty. I need to know when it expires. Many thanks.
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: Obstructing the Highway. I didn't appeal.
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: London - Waterloo Bridge
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks I just need to know when the record will expire. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also - I need to know today - not do a DBS check - as I'm acting as guarantor for a rental. Thanks.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Vineet.

Hi there,

To check if you have a criminal record, you can get a DBS check online.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks I've seen that. I'm trying to find out today.

If you were arrested, then it would show up in your police records.

They will stay on your records permanently and will show up in the enhanced DBS checks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ah ok, thanks for your help. So I should include it on an application to be a rent guarnato for someone even if it's expired?

Details about arrests where no charges are brought will not show up in basic DBS checks.

You can disclose it in the rent guarantor form.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I was charged with obstrcution of the highway so I guess that'll show?

That will come up , as all information regarding about convictions, cautions and legal reprimands shows up in standard checks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ah ok, well I think it'll be ok, it's pretty minor. Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.

My pleasure.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you