Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I need a lawyer to review my debt-to-claim letter against my

I need a lawyer to review my debt-to-claim letter against my bank. The letter is drafted with a few questions noted in the margins.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I will be happy to assist if I can. Do you have letter available to upload using the paperclip icon?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks! Please find the document attached.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would invite you to call, but currently I'm in France (returning to UK on Friday) so don't have a UK number right now.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can you call a +33 number?

I believe calls are limited to UK based numbers but I am not entirely certain on this point. Customer services would be able to confirm. Would it be simplest if I comment on your comments in tracked changes and re-upload the document?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
that would work. And could you please make new comments if you notice anything irregular so that I can make the final draft as professional as possible?

before I go any further, looking at the nature of the claim, have you considered raising this matter as a complaint and referral to the financial ombudsman rather than court? I have only read the first page so far so forgive me if this is covered later in the letter

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I've been through the ombudsman process

Thank you - and I take it that you were not satisfied with the outcome? the reason I asked the question is because an issuing in the County Court, particularly if the amount of claim exceeds £10,000 which I can see here that it does, you will be exposed to legal costs of the bank who will naturally have a fully funded legal counsel and support staff of lawyers. I do not say this to dissuade you but merely to highlight the risks of this approach. Would you wish for me to continue as proposed above?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm planning to send the letter and also report HSBC to the Data Protection board.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you think they will send me a huge bill for their efforts to review my letter?

They won't be able to do that. You would the exposed to potential cost however if you actually issue proceedings in the County Court which is simply why I like the point to urge caution in this respect. unless you have deep pockets to make this risk of little consequence, ideally you would only wish to actually proceed to issue proceedings if you confidently believe you have a better than 50% chance of success. I will proceed as above and revert back shortly with the edited document.

please find attached, commented out document together with link referred to below:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims#Annex1

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help!