How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 79526
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have council tax arrears, london, i told them I moved out

This answer was rated:

I have council tax arrears
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i told them I moved out 5 months ago but it wasn’t out on the system. There for ive racked up another 5 months of tax and I didn’t realise. Even though I didn’t live there and I have had a court summons which I missed as I didn’t know
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I have to pay for this ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I moved into another flat that council tax was included
So I didn’t check my tax account,
So the fact it’s gone past a court summons and I didn’t show up. I don’t know what to do as I just don’t have this amount of money.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
So basically I moved out of a flat 5 months ago and I owed a few months council tax. I was going to try and sort about paying it and have been caught up in a really bad financial position.
When I moved into my new flat council tax was included. So I told them I’d moved. But only today I received an email saying I owe the council up to this month even though I left 5 months ago. And apparantly I missed a court summons back in December which I had no idea of....the payment is now around £1,300 and it’s just impossible to pay it back
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is there any way you can have debts written off once it’s had a court summons. Or at least I don’t want to pay the past 5 months as I haven’t even been living there

Thanksfor the information

No, inshort, you cannot have this written off. Council tax is very vigorously enforced,

You canoften attend on the day that the liability order is heard and argue that youare not liable as you moved.

I don’tknow whether or not you are arguing it should have been returned to thelandlord.

But thatis the place to make that point.

Can Iclarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What would the next step be, for example coukd I be arrested.....I don’t have assets or possessions of value for bailiffs

You could but that is the very last resort.

They will just send bailiffs in.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Right, but I don’t live there...hmmmm
Ok thanks for your help

They will trace your current address though.

You can't ignore this.

They will enforce.

The crown is a very aggressive creditor.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’ll be able to pay back in instalments but not all at once
Hopefully they’d accept that

They will accept that

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
One more thing if I may


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have found a letter from the council to say they’ve received the information I’ve moved last OctoberBut on system online it wasn’t updated
So would this help my case

Yes, but you need to attend and argue you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help

Good to talk to you.

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully,I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions.Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.