james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I've been banned from driving for 6 months and got 120 hours

I've been banned from driving for 6 months and got 120 hours community service an a fine due to leaving the scene of a accident and driving without due care. Will my driving license come back without any penalty points?
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Minor and no
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No already been
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If a person is disqualified from driving under the totting system then when they get their licence back any points that were there will have been removed,

However, if a person receives an instant ban, which is not subject to the totting up process, then this has no effect on other penalty points on the licence and they will remain.

Also remember that as you were banned for more than 56 days your licence will not be automatically returned to you.

As you near the end of the disqualification, you can apply for the licence to be reinstated which requires a fee to be paid to the DVLA but once that is done, you can resume driving as soon as the ban is served, even if you have not physically received the licence back. If you do not pay the fee, your licence will remain revoked so whilst the ban would be concluded, if you drive, you could be prosecuted for "driving otherwise than in accordance with your licence.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
how come I've been banned for 6 months? And not been issued with any penalty points in court?

Both offence can either carry penalty points OR an automatic disqualification. So I would imagine you were given the immediate disqualification.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
shouldn't have any points?

You would need to speak to your solicitor and ask for the letter following sentence that would explain what sentencing you received.

You could have been given points for on offence and a disqualification for the second.

As you were also given 120 hours community order, ypu,could also ask your probation officer as they would have details of the sentence.