Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Are mask mandates and swab tests enforceable in schools. We

Are mask mandates and swab tests enforceable in schools.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in Durham UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am looking into home schooling.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just looking into what my rights are as a parent.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Do you have concerns about your child or children providing these please always your concern that others may refuse putting your children at potential risk?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am concerned for the adverse health effects of my child and all children. I do not consent to these mandates.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I'm only looking for an answer not regarding legality. Is it legal?

thank you. the government passed emergency legislation last year in the form of the coronavirus act which allows the government to pass regulations at short notice and upon ministerial order. These regulations continuously change and evolve to reflect the governments policy on the pandemic and the results of the regulations are widely reported in the news and at government press conferences which I'm sure you have seen.

The coronavirus regulations have mandated head teachers to make appropriate rules for the school for face covering rather than making them compulsory in all settings. There is guidance that children 12 and over should where masks outside of the classroom but as above it is for the headteacher to implement and they may choose stricter or more relaxed rules. the decision of the head teacher in this respect is legally enforceable under the regulations.

the position in respect of lateral flow tests is that schools have been requested to offer testing to their staff that the testing is not mandatory. Schools also have the option to offer testing to pupils and again, the Head Teacher has authority under the regulations to make rules for the school as regards testing.

Accordingly the position will depend upon policy of the school schools your child or children attend and if they have not already made the policy available, will no doubt the making their policy available to all parents in good time before schools restart in your area (assuming they have not already if you live in Wales)

I hope the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.