SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Me and my husband split just under 2 years ago before

Hi me and my husband split just under 2 years ago before getting married in July 2017 he joined my morgage and has payed nothing for 2 years & now that I'm struggling I cnt afford to paying by myself he has no interest in the house but had done a debt thing while we were not getting
on and has a £17000 held on the house, what can be done
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Iv no really done anything as I cnt afford to as I only work pt as I care for my 16 year old daughter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was paying with my daughters Dla but I'm now being granted guardianship and need to keep records of her incomings and outgoings but dnt know exactly when that will start

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am one of the experts with JA.Regrettably if the debt has been secured against the property and there is a charge due to him being a joint owner the charge will not be removed unless discharged. He will have to pay it off or the lender could in deed enforce on it and look to sell the house to get their money back. Because there is a mortgage they will liaise with the mortgage provider as they will also have an interest in an sale of the property. If you have any follow up please do not hesitate to send me your follow up question. all the best.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He has 3 years 4 months left to pay whatever the debt agreed with him...Regards ***** ***** itself doesn't he have to pay towards it as he agreed to be joint ownership

Hi, if he does not fail to pay his agreed payment towards the debt then they will have no reason to enforce. About the mortgage yes he is liable but the problem with joint loans is that you are jointly and severally liable so if one fails to pay the creditor still experts to get their money from the other. You could pursue him for his share that you are having to pay.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will try that thank you

You are welcome