NewExpertAS4920
NewExpertAS4920, Solicitor
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
108371865

I have an odd situation with a potential house purchase I'm

Hi, I have an odd situation with a potential house purchase I'm unsure whether the sellers request is legal
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No paperwork has been completed Or prepared
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: In north east england
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have a specific scenario to discuas Discuss*
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sellers of the house we want to buy are a married couple who are separating.The house is on the market for 160k. The husband has given the wife 80k cash and is transferring the deeds of the house in to his name.The husband would then like to sell the house to myself for 180k made up of 160k via my mortgage and the extra 20k to be paid direct to his bank account. I assume it is so his wife does not know the true value and therefore cannot claim a share of the extra 20k.Is this possible/legal etc?
Hi! I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query.Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there may be delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
You should not pay the seller any money directly. You should both instruct your own respective solicitors and payment should be made via your solicitor.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats what I thought. Could this arrangement work via a solicitor and do you know if my mortgage lender can object?
Also you should be careful as to why the seller is charging you more than the market value
If there are valid reason for such a request then it may be workable. However as stated above you should not pay the seller directly. There are too many risks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The 180k value in my opinion is fair. The house was devalued initially to instigate a quick sale but I will discuss this with my solicitor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your advice it backs up my thoughts exactly.
My pleasure. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask