james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I was pulled over for speeding on a dual carriageway at

Customer Question

Hi, I was pulled over for speeding on a dual carriageway at 92mph. At the time if speeding I was desperate for the bathroom to urinate so I was trying to get to the services which was 3 miles approx away rather than stopping in a lay by while we are in the grip of a global pandemic. I did not have any sanitry equipment in my car. The road conditions were wet but I did not feel any issues with loss of control or aquaplaning. Also the officer who met me out of the car did not feel it necessary to wear a waterproof coat. Thanks
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: UK, west mercia police
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: I have just got the ticket they gave me on the evening it happened (notice of intended prosecution).
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It was at 22.30 in the evening. Last speeding offence on my license was 8 to 10 years ago. I drive on average 15000 to 20000 miles a year for work.
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
What was the speed limit for the road ypu were driving on?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** well thank you and I do hope you are well too. I look forward to your advice. The road was a dual carriageway and the limit was 70mph
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi james, I am currently setting up for my daughters birthday tomorrow and typing in between. So I would prefer text if that is ok

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.
The reason for notice of prosecution would be because of the speed. You will in due course receive a summons to court.

92mph in a 70 zone moves the offence up from a fixed penalty and 3 points level  which covers 71-90 mph to next level up.
The next group up is 91-100mph. The penalty for that is a fine and either 4-6 points or a 7-28 day ban. As your speed was just in the lower end then most likely 4 points and a fine.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Due to the covid 19 problem in the uk at the time, is this acceptable as mitigation for the offence.

Yes, it is an honest abs straight forward account. Give that, it would then most likely be deal with by a single justice process on the papers without the need to actually attend court.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do the court summons or papers have an area to write any mitigation and reasons for the offence.

When you receive the papers they should ask you to advice whether you accept the offence or not, there is space to write mitigation. That is where youmwould then give your account.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** would I be better to accept the offence or not?

The reasons you give are mitigation, not a defence. So yes accept the matter. If you do not, then it will be a court hearing resulting in a bigger fine and possibly extra point or two.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, thank you for your advice. All the very best to you

Your very welcome

can I assist further?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, I'm fine thank you

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.