How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4509
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have been accused of bullying at work, Yes, Employee and I

Customer Question

I have been accused of bullying at work
JA: Have you discussed the accusation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee and I belong to a union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have been accused of bullying and or harassment at work and am now under formal investigation, I am the accusers line manager, I have seen the complainants issues with me but from what I can see I am doing my job
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Ok, how may I assist?

The employer has a duty to investigate any allegation made, no matter how unfounded.

Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.
As explained, if an employee makes a formal complaint to their employer of bullying, harassment or any other issue, the employer has an obligation to carry out a formal investigation of that complaint no matter who it is made about. Once the employer has done that, they would either dismiss the matter as unfounded or, they could hold a formal hearing to speak to the person the complaint was about.
After that hearing, the matter can be dismissed in no evidence, or if found against the person, disciplinary action can be taken. That could be a warning, written warning, final written warning , dismissal etc.

If a hearing does take place and is found against you, you would then be able to appeal that with the employer. If you then feel the whole presses was carried unfairly etc, or leads to dismissal, then you could challenge at an employment tribunal.

I hope this helps clarity the matter.

Please come back if I can assist further.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.