james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I need to determine who is the legal owner of a vehicle,

Hello i need to determine who is the legal owner of a vehicle
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: derbyshire, draycott uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: my name is ***** ***** v5 registration document, i borrowed £7’500 from my ex mother in law to purchase it, we both signed an agreement to say that the van would remain hers until i have cleared my debt with her and i have my bank statement showing the money going in to my account and back out to purchase the vehicle.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, nothing

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The reason i need to know is because i may have bailiffs chasing me for money and i don't want them to take the vehicle as i believe that what i have proves that it does not belong to me, i fully intend to honour my commitment to the signed agreement i have.

The V5 document determines the legal “keeper” of a vehicle, not the legal owner.

The legal keeper and legal owner can be two different people.

From the information you have given above, your name is ***** ***** V5, making you the legal keeper.

The signed agreement that you have with your ex mother in law, would clearly show that she is the legal owner of the vehicle, until you have fully cleared your debt with her for the money that you borrowed.

Once the debt is clear, then according to your agreement a you have explained it, you would then become the legal owner of the vehicle as well as the legal keeper.

Can I help and clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can bailiffs chasing me take the vehicle away from me thinking that i own the vehicle (because my name is ***** ***** v5)

It is possible they could try, you would have to show them that you are not the legal owner.

I hope that clarifies that for you.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.