How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 28991
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I am in receipt of Universal Credit but have received my

Customer Question

I am in receipt of Universal Credit but have received my retirement pension £20,000 I have paid my credit card and put money in my savings account Now I'm left with £8,000 Do I have to declare all to the DHS or just the savings ??
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bath and it's a NHS pension so government owned
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing , want to know if I should declare all monies I now have and stop claim
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I will be getting a little more pension money £68 a week
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I clarify that the events you describe had not occurred when you were made an application for universal credit please and that you have obtained the additional monies since making the application?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Been on Universal Credit for three years due to having to work part-time for school commitment ( partners ex died child came to live with us at age of 7 Father works for an agency so not always in employment ) He is not working and I have retired
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Received payment 3/4/21 next date due to sign on is tomorrow 30/4/21
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

thank you. The above additional monies would need to be declared in order to remain compliant with benefit legislation however, if you have used some of those monies to pay off debts, this would not be treated as "deprivation" (this is where you are deemed to have deliberately deprived yourself of monies in order to improve a claim for benefits) and as such, the monies you have used to pay off debts will not be counted as capital. the monies you have retained as savings however will and may serve to reduce the benefits you are entitled to

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Understand this but do I declare the £8 I have left
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

You would need to declare the monies you have received in full and the debts that have been repaid. The debts will be deducted from the receipt of capital leaving the balance remaining as remaining capital that will be taken into account when calculating your entitlement under universal credit. Whether or not this will affect the amount of benefit you are entitled to would depend upon whether you have any other savings on top of this

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your help Catherine
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
10 if that's your highest score
Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.