Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I hjave a situation at my daughters school with one of her

Customer Question

i hjave a situation at my daughters school with one of her teachers
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have made a formal complaint to both the school and the board of governors
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that s it for now...
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and i am happy to help you today. Can you explain the situation in more detail please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello, my daughter was accused of saying a derogatory comment in her class towards a girl and was reported by her maths teacher .
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She did not say anything and we also have to bear in mind that all the children wear masks ..
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

Ok so what would you like to know about this please? is the school taking disciplinary action against her?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As. Result now she no longer wants to go to school , she was verbally abused on the way home by a group of girls , her picture was taken by the same girls , she felt terrified
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

oh that's dreadful. What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have logged a complaint with the school and also the board of governors
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

Have they responded to the complaint?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I want to know if I can sue the tracker for defamation of character towards my daughter
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The teacher not tracker
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

What was the outcome of the complaint that you raised?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He never approached my daughter directly which I think he should have done
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The school have handled the situation extremely badly and alarmist forced her to apologise for something she did not do
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I had a meeting yesterday with the head of year and the in house school councillor who kept saying to me your daughter is a model student to which I said why are we here then ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Why have. We allowed to let the situation get to this as a result of the comment made by the teacher ... there’s no proof , she has never been in trouble with the school and she’s now approaching her final year of secondary school
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There’s no written statement , and no parents of either child was notified . Surely a racial comment should be taken with the utmost importance right ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

It is quite difficult to bring a successful claim of defamation against a teacher, you have to show that the allegation was demonstrably false and that the teacher KNEW it to be at the time the statement was made. If the teacher simply got something wrong but believed it to be true this would not meet the criteria.

If the school does not intend to take action against your daughter and knows she did not make the statement then they should assist her to ensure that others also know she did not do what has been alleged. You can also make a complaint about any child who is known to have made a false statement.

Do you have any further questions please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok so what would be the best plan going forward ? i have made a complaint to the school and the Governors.
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

You need to follow the complaints process, hopefully that will lead to a satisfactory outcome. If it doesn't there will be an appeals procedure within the school that you can follow. Ultimately you can complain to the LA if you remain dissatisfied with the response of the school.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thanks.
Expert:  Jenny replied 12 days ago.

no problem and all the best with it.