12826847

Sorry about this, may be a message! My wife and i recently

Customer Question

Hello, sorry about this, may be a long message! My wife and i recently adopted a paraplegic dog from Romania through a charity called Sadies. We spoke long and hard about the challenges we would face and decided to go ahead and give a good life to the dog.Unfortunately my wife found the reality hard and after only 6 days had a breakdown. We had to give the dog up to the charity. Two members of the team posted inflammatory posts about this on the charities facebook page. My wife received many abusive posts as a consequence of these posts.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not spoken to a lawyer, we are in England. I did message the founder of the charity who told me it is we who they should be suing. I should say that my wife is on Cetalopram as she suffers from stress/depression very rarely. She had one breakdown before this and that was about 10 years back while going through a devorce.[Not from me!]
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: On seeing the posts which my wife also saw, i messaged a woman i have dealt with at the charity and told her these posts were inflammatory and directly responsible for the messages people posted and that i was considering suing for defamation of character.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, the founder of the charity did say that they should be suing me as we did not declare that my wife has mental health issues[albeit mild]. She also said they would be invoicing me for costs incured for fostering the dog until a new owner is found. I did pay £400 pounds for the dog to be brought from Romania.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but surely you are not hoping the charity would sue? On what basis?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry, I have contacted JustAnswer and told them I do not wish to proceed. They obviously did not contact yourself.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you the truth.

There is no claim against any person. You did return the dog and they are entitled to complain about it in public.

She does have a claim against you for the cost although they probably will not enforce that.

Im really sorry but that is the position.

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.