Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

I am looking to rent a commercial property and have been

Customer Question

Hi. I am looking to rent a commercial property and have been issued HoT by Landlord's agents and appointed a solicitor. Landlord is now changing the terms on the promise of needing additional information and the agreement might not go through. Who pays my solicitor's fees?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No paperwork was prepared on my behalf. Landlord issued Heads of Terms after verbal agreement
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London NW1 - CAmden
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Jo W replied 13 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Jo
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Jo - what are the next steps?
Expert:  Jo W replied 13 days ago.

Hi.  As this is a commercial transaction then each party pays its own legal fees - your commercial interests are different.  Having some prepared heads of terms should mean there is less for you to consider and respond on, but you will need to agree the Heads of Terms if you want to go ahead with the transaction.  If you want to keep a close eye on legal costs then you could approach a local solicitor to do the work for a fixed fee where you limit your costs.   It is hard for me to advise further as I don't know the extent or nature of the agreement but if you are generally in agreement then this would lower any legal costs.

I trust that this has been of some help.  I realise it may not be the answer you want but this is generally what happens in commercial transactions.  One final thought - you've nothing to lose but it may not go down well - you could ask the other party to pay all legal fees.   It's a thought but could ruin the deal.

Next step - get the Heads of Terms pinned down between the parties.