Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Week ago I had to received parcel from Poland, which was

Customer Question

Hi! Week ago I had to received parcel from Poland, which was sent by my sister. On delivery sheet is information that parcel was delivered “deliver release” parcel didn’t come to this day, very str. I was trying to contact UPS, no one came back to me
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Im living in the UK, parcel was sent from Poland by outside company which handed over the parcel to UPS
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: contacted UPS, and tried to reach to company in Poland, which is saying that they can’t do anything as parcel was handed over to UPS and after this they were responsible to deliver my parcel
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US&requester=ST/trackdetails Maybe this link will be helpful
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would like to know, What can i do in situation When im clearly not receiving my parcel, no one wants to talk with me about this, and engaged companies are refusing to help me or try to help me because it says on the delivery note that parcel was delivered “delivery release” 4/5 family members was present in the house at the time (including me) when driver apparently showed up here, parcel is anywhere around the house, and there is no note put through the door to say that it was
Delivered to our neighbors.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Whilst a parcel is in the courier’s possession, they have legal responsibility over it and owe the sender, who paid for their services, a duty of care. However, as they are providing a service under contract, the customer will be bound by the terms and conditions which were accepted when the service was initially taken out. Such terms will likely cover the position with liability in the event the parcel is either lost or damaged.

Often, couriers limit their liability to a specific amount, regardless of the value of the item. They basically state that if the customer is prepared to use their services, they are agreeing to the courier only having liability up to that amount. If the customer is not happy with that basic level of cover, they simply do not have to use that specific courier. There is, however, often the option for the customer to purchase extra cover for additional protection. This is like getting insurance, up to a specific amount, or for specific eventualities, which provides extra cover for the items. For example, it can increase the amount that is covered and also cover more specialist items, which would ordinarily be excluded.

If the customer did not purchase such extra protection, the courier will still only be liable up to the minimum amount they cover under their terms and conditions of use. That would be the case even if they were in some way at fault for the loss or damage. That is because they would have contractually excluded their liability and the customer accepted that exclusion by agreeing to their terms and using their services. Had extra insurance been purchased, the limits of their liability would have increased up to that amount and the goods would have been protected better that under their basic cover.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.