Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I own a hair accessories company and photos (including

Customer Question

hi Pearl, I own a hair accessories company and photos (including photos of me using the products) were stolen and are widely used by sellers on Aliexpress, Ebay and Amazon. Do you know what are my options now?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm based in Coulsdon, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that's it I think
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Did you take the photos yourself? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Ben, yes these photos were taken by me or my husband. These are photos of myself using the product and they’re using on multiple listings on different marketplaces.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

As you took the photos you will have copyright over them automatically by law. Therefore, others cannot use them unless they had your consent, which clearly they don’t.

You can initially approach these people to advise them of this and point out their breach and also contact the sites they use to see if they can do anything, like take them down on your behalf.

If neither of these work, your only option legally is to go to court and seek out an injunction ordering their removal, or pursue them for damages, which will likely be minimal here, probably several hundred pounds only.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.