How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 79972
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am looking for a lawyer that has experience of suing the

Customer Question

I am looking for a lawyer that has experience of suing the Police for negligence. The force is Greater Manchester Police. In December they were placed in Special Measures and the Chief Constable was dismissed. I reported fraud and coercive control perpetrated by my siblings on my 93 year old father.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in Scotland. My father lives in Manchesater
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: An awful lot - I got OPG involved and social services both in 2017. They were both competent. GMP wasn't. I have done nothing since the Special Measures was introduced except to post a 9 page letter to Her majesty's Inspectorate of Police one week ago, complaining about GMP.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My father wife is 80 and robust and can corroborate everything
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I imagine some lawyers dont have the stomach to sue the Police. I would like to find one that considers this route as part of the resolution process to gain justice
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Well, some take a sensible view. And others do not.

There is clearly no point in suing if there is no case.

I'm not sure what you want to sue for. On the facts you've presented above there is no claim and no particular complaint.

The extent of it is that they didn't take a crime report which they are allowed to do. They retain a discretion. It can be legitimately exercised for lots of reasons; doubts about credibility, allegation not amounting to an offence, not in the public interest to spend taxpayer's money on the allegation etc etc.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

If you do have a claim then I will need to know what it is obviously to give any reliable advice.

But no, suing the police is not usually wise.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your response. I have spent £2k already in lawyers fees merely to review the data. I will wait a bit longer until I see what reply I get from HMIC.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

That's a very good idea. Spending money upon a claim that is unrealistic is not a good business model