How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 193
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

Please I want to seek for advice, I live in a temporary

Customer Question

Good morning
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: please I want to seek for advice, I live in a temporary accommodation and I’m now given a date that they will relief me of my homelessness, I’m entitled to a two bedroom flat for me and my daughter but they are giving me a one bedroom.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no I haven’t.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I don’t know the location of the family court but I live in Hackney borough.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they re offering me with a one bedroom instead of a standard two bedroom.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having with Hackney Council.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Lawry for helping me.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I really don’t know what to do.
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

First you need to lodge a formal complaint with the Council.

They have a complaints procedure and you need to work through this and exhaust their internal process before taking it further.

If they are unhelpful you can refer the matter to the Housing Ombudsman either on 0300(###) ###-####or by email to***@******.***.

Also you may find it easier and quicker to contact Shelter on 0808(###) ###-####who can help.

You could also contact your local Councillor or MP.

You should not refuse to move as they may term you intentionally homeless so take what they give you and fight to get the two bedroom flat.

Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

You need to ask them the reason why they are giving you a one bedroom flat.

Is it shortage of stock or another reason?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They said it’s the final offer they re giving me, I believe if they keep finding they will get a standard 2 bedroom, I don’t even know why they want to relief me now.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I accept I will be putting myself in a tight corner.
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

You should call your local Councillor and ask them to intervene.

Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

If you are sure they will not evict you then stay where you are and insist on the standard two bedroom option.

How old is your daughter?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My daughter is 7 years old.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
They will evict me if I don’t accept and the time is up.
Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

Well, then you may be better to take this for the moment and then fight the decision whilst you at least have somewhere to be.

If you do write to them that you accept to move "without prejudice" to your rights and you still require two bedrooms.

Speak to Shelter they are very experienced in this field and can provide practical assistance.

Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

Having a young child should make you priority need.

Expert:  Lawry replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps