How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 28927
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I would like some advice concerning my father's death on the

Customer Question

Hi I would like some advice concerning my father's death on the 25th of April 2021 I have concerns that they may have been some form of negligence involved
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Are presently trying to arrange the registratoring my father death
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: An investigation is to be carried out once I have emailed them my concerns
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

how may I assist in relation to the above?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am in a position that I was told that I was not able to register my father's recent death by the registrar that the case need to be referred to the coroners office due to investigation required to establish cause of death
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I am very sorry to read of the above. This is quite correct that you will not be able to obtain a final death certificate until the coroner's inquest has concluded. However, you can ask the coroner for what is known as an interim death certificate whilst the inquest is taking place and you can use this to begin administration of your father's estate assuming you are the person who has been appointed as executor or administrator of his estate. You can also use the interim death certificate to notify the registrar of your father's death albeit as the registrar has explained, his death cannot be formally registered until such time as the inquest concludes. If probate is required in relation to his estate, you can also use an interim death certificate to apply for probate

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for your reply much appreciated if there is a investigation into my father death and I'm not happy with verdict when would I need legal representation
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I must say that I do not have very much experience in relation to coroners inquests. So far as I'm aware, there is no specific right of appeal in respect of the outcome of an inquest there it is possible to challenge the coroner's decision under judicial review so far as I'm aware that this can be extremely costly. It is possible to have representation at the inquest and if you have a particular interest in a particular outcome in respect of the inquest, it is likely to be worthwhile considering whether this is worthwhile as it is likely to be better to ensure appropriate representation of your interest at the inquest rather than seek to challenge in the outcome of the inquest by way of judicial review