Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am self employed contractor specialising in logistics and

Customer Question

Hi I am self employed contractor specialising in logistics and supply chain related projects. I am currently working for an end client via an intermediary (agency) and I have received a letter alleging certain breaches of contract. I would like to know how long I should allow for responding? The letter states 5 days which I think is not a fair amount of time.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No not yet I am in process of trying to engage to get some legal advice
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am a contractor working through my own limited company
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The alleged breaches relate to another company I am a director of which has started up whilst I have been working for the current end client This company has supplied services which the agency alleges are in direct competition with them
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

How much time do you need to respond? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Ben the letter from the agency was sent as an email and only picked up the other day as it went into my junk folder. The letter requests a response by close of business tomorrow
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thanks but how much time do you realistically need to respond to the employer?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

By law, there is no minimum period of time you are allowed to consider the issues before replying, or attending a meeting on them. That would depend on your contract, or any relevant policy, assuming they actually mention anything on this subject.

If you do not believe that you have been given sufficient time to consider the issues, then you can ask the company for an extension in time and hope that they consent. If they do not, there is nothing stopping them from proceeding with this even if you are not in attendance.

In general, however, 5 days is not an unreasonable amount of time and a couple of days minimum would be expected.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.