31090051

I am a music producer and also an entrepreneur. My enquiry

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** am a music producer and also an entrepreneur. My enquiry is related to selling music rights as I am developing an online platform for music producers, where they can sell their music projects (finished and unfinished projects DAW projects). Please note, music producers/artist won't sell their music such as an .mp3 or .wav files, but the actual project. Our platform works on the same principles as Amazon. We charge a commision fee to let artist upload their music projects. My question is: What can we do as a platform to ensure that we abide the law and to ensure that the artist are responsible for the conent they upload? Is a disclaimer and terms & conditions enough for us to go ahead?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: We have terms & conditions and disclaimers on our website that artist need to agree before they sign up.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 11 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a copyright and intellectual property solicitor in the UK with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me just read your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond to you as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best answer I can.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

I presume you are concerned about copyright infringement. You can have the various undertakings and disclaimers on your website and retain the power to remove anything that is an apparent breach of copyright. There is also software that can recognise sections of existing recordings and refuse to allow uploads of anything that it thinks may be a breach of copyright. I know soundcloud and some other sites use it.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

Ih