Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED TWICE. ONCE FOR £800.00 AND THE OTHER,

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED TWICE. ONCE FOR £800.00 AND THE OTHER
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: FOR £500.00.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: BOTH TIMES TO RICHARD MCCULLOCH
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: NO NOTHING ELSE.
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

are you able to very briefly outline the nature of the scam and in particular, how you paid monies?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I PAID THE SCAMMER BY CREDIT CARD. A M&S CARD
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

thank you. Are you able to briefly summarise the nature of the scam - i.e. what was offered in return for the money?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I DO NOT REMEMBER WHAT WAS OFFERED.
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

thank you. Do you have any records in relation to the interaction? do you have even hazy memories of what may have been promised? presumably you did not agree to pay money for nothing but understood you were receiving something in return?

Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms it may be difficult to recover your money if you can't recall any details about the scam. This may be the case because by definition, if you can't remember the details, it is possible it was not a scam. Also on a practical level, if you are to seek to recover monies, your credit card company will ask you for details of the reason for your dispute and you would need to be able to explain that you have not received the service that you paid for it if you have no idea what it was that you paid for, it may be difficult to explain what you haven't received.

if however you are able to recover some memory of the details even in the most basic terms, to enable you to at least be able to say that you have not received whatever was promised, then you can contact your credit card company and ask them to process a charge back in relation to the monies that have been debited from your card on the grounds that whatever service was promised to you has not been received and accordingly, the other party is in breach of contract or has commited fraud

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me