Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I there I am having an issue for a payment regarding

Customer Question

I there I am having an issue for a payment regarding Vodafone and a debt collection agency that I paid the money to for an over due payment on my Vodafone account. I have provided the proof to Vodafone that shows the 2 payments I made to the debt collection agency and Vodafone are saying they received one of the payments but even with the proof are still calling me a liar saying I haven't made the payment. This has been an ongoing issue with Vodafone for about 4 weeks now or more and I'm still getting no where and need legal advice now because they switched my phone from pay monthly to pay as you go without any information given to me apart from them sending me a letter today about it They put the outstanding amount of the phone they switched over on to my account again me not knowing anything about it
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I made 2 payments to the debt collection agency on the 9th March 2021 and the second payment on the 15th march 2021 and vodafone didn't raise any issue with me until they sent me a text on the 8th April 2021 about switching my phone to pay as you go and thats when I questioned it all
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been in contact with my bank and they have confirmed to me that the second payment cleared from my account on the 16th March 2021 but vodafone are now saying they want the full length of my bank statement because the payment could have been reversed Vodafone are beating me round the Bush and filling out a missing payment form there end but they have filled about 2-3 of them out and still no payment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don't think so
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also vodafone are stating my bank statement isn't original because its a print out from my bank branch because I don't get sent bank statements through the door anymore
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

1. May I confirm on the basis that you have made the payments as you say to the debt collection agency, but for the disagreement of Vodafone, your account should be back in good standing as a result of those payments please?
  2. I note you refer to a pay monthly agreement which has been switched to a pay-as-you-go agreement. Did you have any remaining minimum term associated with that monthly agreement please?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I made 2 payments to the debt collection agency the first payment I made was on the 9th March 2021 and the second on the 15th march 2021
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have a bank statemenstatement to prove both payments were made
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can't do the phone so we will have to chat through live chat
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
my account should of been up to date but it isnt
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The phone got switched back to pay monthly but I received a letter today again stating the number to get switched to pay as you go
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
All of this is happening even now and I'm recovering from an operation on my back I don't need no more added distress or stress at the moment with recovering
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

thank you. Is there any amounts remaining on your minimum term of any contract with Vodafone please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My contracts are ongoing and it's only this months bill that outstanding because they haven't given me the information about how much to pay
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The amount I had to pay the debt collection agency was £564.88 which I paid in 2 payments of £282.44
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am just looking for advice if I a legal case against both companies I'm sorry to say I don't have funds to pay for a private lawyer so I would have to go through citizens advice to get my legal case against both of the companies
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

thank you. Just press one final point so I have all the appropriate information. To ask the question in another way, roughly when does your contract with Vodafone end?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I took out a 2 year contract I think so I think it could be next year. I had no intentions of ending my contract.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Let me just check sorry I'm not sure if it's next year or 2023
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have been with Vodafone as my provider for about 5-6 years
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

thank you. This is a relatively simple matter albeit nonetheless extremely frustrating. I have personal experience of Vodafone customer service and sympathise. if you have attempted reasonable explanation and this is falling on deaf ears, the simplest approach is simply to escalate the matter to a formal complaint which will transfer the matter to an independent complaints department to review your complaint to provide you with a full response. you are entitled to escalate the complaint to the Telecom location ombudsman for an independent determination which is binding upon Vodafone on the earlier of their full response or eight weeks whichever is sooner. You can also claim compensation if you have been put to significant inconvenience needlessly as a consequence of their actions or lack of action.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Does that service charge? How much will it cost me and I want to go for compensation on both companies
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have constantly explained to them reasonably I have made the payments and even proved to them I made them and they just seem to throw excuses at me everytime saying that I haven't made the payment and my bankstatement isn't the original one which is what they need when it is and also the payment being reversed but I had it confirmed form my branch it cleared on the 16th March 2021 out of my account
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

there is no charge to use the ombudsman service. What I think a complaint in relation to Vodafone is straightforward, the complaint in relation to the debt collector is not necessarily so straightforward and it is possible they have done comparatively little wrong if they have taken payment and passed it on to Vodafone, it is then to Vodafone to ensure that payment is processed onto your account properly. If you have complaints in relation to the conduct of the debt collector, for example they were aggressive you could make a complaint to the financial ombudsman ( also a free service in the same way as above)

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
See thats where the problem is vodafone is saying the second payment they didn't receive from the debt collection agency but don't seem to contact them to find out where it is and the agency told me after the second payment was made there would be no contact between me and them because my account would pass back to Vodafone which my account did but not the payment apparently
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will follow up on the website you sent me, I just want to pick your brains with my last question thank you
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

it doesn't matter whether the payment has been received by Vodafone. Vodafone have from what you say appointed the debt collector as their agent for the purposes of collecting payment and as such, providing you have evidence that you have paid the debt collecting agency, from there, it is a matter between them Vodafone. Payment to the debt collecting agency under agency law is regarded as having made payment directly to Vodafone

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have the evidence from my bank branch of a bank statement showing both payments were made and also the original letter from the debt collection agency with the amount and first payment on
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for all your help I will go through to the website link you have provided me with
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am on the same website that passed me through to you In the first place
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

So the place to start would be here:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints

If not satisfied you can refer here:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/complain-now