Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Can a boss make you work on a specific day that you been

Customer Question

Can a boss make you work on a specific day that you been tupe when they take over business??
JA: Was the TUPE issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: With employees
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had a discussion with the new owner and told him that if he needed me to work that day I would need 2 weeks notice but i would not always be able to do it as I look after my twin grandchildren on that specific day he already has me working till 11 am on that day wich I told him was fine as long as kids were at school
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Can I just check how long you have worked for the business please? and are your working days/shifts set out within your contract?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. Your rights will depend on what your original contract states and if you are contracted to do specific days or if the employer can ask you to work specific days instead.

In the end, it is all about your contractual rights and what it states int here. The new employer has a duty to honour your existing terms so if you have the right not to work on that day, or to expect a minimum notice for doing so, then you can expect them to continue applying these rules after the transfer.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have worked in the work place since October 2018 the new owners took over in November 2020
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you., did you see my original answer above? Do let me know if you have further queries on it please