How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4331
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I need to change my son's surname. He is 10years old, In the

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I need to change my son's surname. He is 10years old
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I did a deedpoll online
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. Are you the only person with parental responsibility, or is their a father named on his birth certificate?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
His father is named on his birth certificate
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 11 days ago.

In that case you will need the father's consent to change the child's name, or an order from the court.

To apply for an order you will need to do so on form C100, cost is £215. You will be applying for a specific issues order to change the child's surname.

Please note that these changes are rarely made, and when they are it is because there are serious issues with the father - e.g. that he is a notorious criminal, sexual offender or generally a reprobate with whom the child should not have to associate - and even then orders are not often made in the mother's favour. Just be aware of this when you apply. You may get more traction if you are considering adding your own surname to the child's to make it double-barrelled, rather than changing it completely.