12826847

I was accused of a crime, but before th epolice could

Customer Question

I was accused of a crime, but before th epolice could question me, the 'victim' asked for the charges to be dropped and has since started to ask for money - is this blackmail
JA: Do they have any upcoming court dates on the blackmail charges?
Customer: no, the police have been contacted yet, as I am reluctant to bring them in, in case my 'crime' is re-opened and i don't know if blackmail has been committed?
JA: Where did the blackmail occur?
Customer: by text message, asking for money
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no - Ive outlined the main issues
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, I’m concerned to the point of harm & don’t know if I am being blackmailed?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No prefer to stay on text
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you answer / advise
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi - are you still there to talk / update me on the livechat?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

no, it isn't blackmail.

it is just a claim for money. He may or may not have a claim but that doesn't make it blackmail.

Blackmail would be something like a threat to do violence if you did not pay.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

That is not to say that you are liable though. Just that it is not blackmail.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What should I do, I can’t afford to keep paying & if I don’t I fear the accusation will resurface?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

ARe liable?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It would come down to their word against mine & I am terrified
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Yes, but you know whether you are liable or not.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would say not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Then just refuse to pay and invite them to sue if they disagree.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would the police take into any consideration, that they asked for charge to be dropped and then the day after starting to ask for money, or does it have no bearing?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Yes, they won't be allowed to revive it if there has been a formal NFA but he would make fresh allegations.