How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13611
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.

Customer Question

Good afternoon
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My name is*****: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coxheath, Maidstone
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i need your help in a legal matter..regarding a CCJ on my boyfriend’a name ..that is affecting our life , we are about to lose our house (in process of buying it ) due to not finding lenders, as that has never been brought to his attention through any method aka letters or emails and now we have found out that he have this on his report and we payed lots of money to get it cleared through Civil enforcement, we have sent to the Court a Order of consent as per C.Enforcement advice ..
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we are waiting for the Court to get back to us , and tell us if the CCJ will be cleared from his record or not and I also need to know who do I need to address to , as is not normal what is happening to us right now ..we need clean credit score otherwise we are just few day away to lose the house we dreamed about so long
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. Firstly, you need to know which court granted the CCJ. You should be able to find out if you contact your boyfriend's local county court as the case would have been heard there. You can find out the date of the CCJ via this website :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Secondly, for as long as the CCJ is in place, and remains unpaid then the claimant can enforce with bailiffs. It also stays on your credit record for up to 6 years.

Thirdly, only a District Judge can make an order to remove the CCJ, which means you must make an application to the court. Unless the claimant agrees to your proposal to remove it, in which case a simple consent order can be drafted and filed with the court for a lesser fee (£100). You mention a consent order already so you need to chase the court once you post it with the fee - ask them to process it as soon as possible. If it gets knocked back (unapproved) then you need to make a formal application.

If you do have to make a formal application, the judge will consider CPR rule 13.3 in deciding whether or not to set it aside, here is the link to show you the criteria :

To set aside the CCJ you need the N244 form and a witness statement with a draft order. The N244 form can also be found here:

I attach copies of those which you can tailor to your specific case. With the witness statement, if you want to refer to any evidence such as email correspondence, letters and so on, you can do that and attach them to the statement.

To fill out the N244 form, it should be as follows :

Q1: your name, Q2: defendant, Q3: an order that the CCJ set aside because (insert a brief reason why). Q4: yes, Q5: at a hearing, Q6: 45 mins, Q7: N/A, Q8: district judge, Q9: Claimant, Q10: the attached witness statement, Q11: sign/date/insert your details.

You will need 3 copies of the bundle (N244, statement, draft order) and a covering letter to the court with a fee of £255 payable to HMCTS. If you are on low income or have low savings (or in receipt of benefits) you can ask the court for a fee exemption – you can check your eligibilty here:

You can specify a telephone hearing and you ask the judge for an order that the CCJ is set aside. Assuming they agree to that, it comes off the credit record and you will be allowed to either defend the claim if the debt is disputed or alternatively pay what you owe and there would be no mark on the credit record.

If you have not received any court details (you need the claim number for the purpose of the N244) then you can check the CCJ details at )

Bear in mind the court expects these applications to be made as soon as you are first aware a CCJ was made. Any delay will harm your chances of getting it set aside.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you very much , much there a number that we could speak at?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

I can't take a call, sorry - there is a call option, if you click it then another expert will contact you if you need to discuss this, thanks