SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have a claim against my employer over business mileage I

Customer Question

Hi, I have a claim against my employer over business mileage I should have been entitled to. I understand I am limited in civil law to claim back for 6 years. My employer claims that this 6 years is from the day that agreed to pay it, however I believe that it should be 6 years from the date I brought the error to their attention. Who is correct?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: It is as a result of a court judgement by a colleague who works in the same sector.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i dont believe so
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 12 days ago.

Good evening, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for  you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks!

Thank you for your patience. This would be a breach of contract claim and the 6 years runs from when the cause of action arose not from when the contract was entered into and not from the day you brought it to their attention. IT is from the day when they did not pay you for the mileage and you would have had reason at that stage to claim, Knowledge is not the question in a breach of contract claim of this nature. Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up question. All the best.