JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

Its regarding separation of assets in a financial dispute

Customer Question

Hi its regarding separation of assets in a financial dispute husband has a limited company
JA: Where is the husband? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England Cornwall
JA: What steps has the husband taken so far?
Customer: Only a proposal of a clean break order
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Court tomorrow but my solicitor has got it adjourned as I wasn't represented, yes the company was confirmed a few weeks before our marriage in 2017 but 6 months after separation (not divorce) he has put 75% ownership into his sisters name
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 15 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm Jeremy, a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'd be very happy to help you but, firstly, could you confirm how long your husband has been a director of the company? Are there any other directors? What other matrimonial assets are there (house, pensions, savings)? Thanks, J
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the company officially registered a limited company around early June 2017 we married the 21.07.2017, we split in January 2018 and around 8 months later his sister was declared 75% share holder given majority control, no he rents his office and is waiting to get a mortgage but obviously wants me out the way first, his divorce petition states he earns 1100 a month but in 2020 his profit minus all deductions where in the region of 37,000 minus dividends. We have 2 children also battling in family courts currently.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 14 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for your patience. I work full-time as a partner in a law firm so, sometimes, there is a significant delay before I respond due to my workload. Ok, so you and your husband are going to need full financial disclosure if you haven't done so during these proceedings already. With regard to the company, you'll need to see the articles of association and the recent accounts (3 years). Seeing as it's a very short marriage, I'm not entirely convinced you'll be able to make out a significant claim against the company as I'm guessing the company was active before you were married so it's not strictly a matrimonial asset. If he's not prepared to play ball over the accounts, you could keep the pressure on him by saying you're going to ask the court to appoint a forensic accountant to examine his company accounts.