JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

I own half a 4 story townhouse with my family member and we

Customer Question

hi, I own half a 4 story townhouse with my family member and we need to split the house in half
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: nnone
JA: Where is the townhouse located?
Customer: islington N11 N1
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing I can think of right now
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 11 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm Jeremy, a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. Please would you confirm how long you have owned the town house and if you own it as joint tenants or tenants in common? Thanks, J
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the property was previously owned by my grandparents, it was then gifted to my dad and my aunt who have shared ownership. We would be looking to split the house both physically and legally into 2 separate 2 story homes.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the property has been in my dad and aunt's names for about 7 years now
Good morning and thank you for the additional information. You'll almost certainly need to get planning permission first and foremost to split the property into what would amount to 2 maisonettes. You'd also need to alter the legal title of the property. There's several ways you can do this but the matter is complicated by the existing ownership. If it remains in your dad and aunt's name, they would need a legal document such as a declaration of trust with regard to the freehold. You'd also have to speak to the utility companies as well about provision of services to each property.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What kind of planning permission do I need? Im looking online and see a number of options
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
also the property is grade II listed.
I'm sorry but that's not something I'd routinely advise on. If it's a Grade II listed property there's major restrictions on what you can and can't do. I recommend you speak to the Local Planning Authority. Thanks, J