james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Driving law road traffic law, Uk, no, no

Customer Question

Driving law road traffic law
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Uk
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello the NDORS Scheme in the UK has a few different schemes and says you can only join a national speed awareness course if you meet the threshold and haven’t attended one in the past three years. However what if you attended another NDORS course within the last three years which was the safe and considerate driving course, would this make you ineligible for the speed awareness course even if they are two different courses.Also the Cumbria constabulary area what are the speed limit thresholds there. Is it 35mph where you will get a ticket or 36 mph.Please answer as soon as possible
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Any driver course is optional and does not have to be offered.

Unfortunately, the police force in question does not state the limit of the threshold only that there is one. https://www.cumbria.police.uk/Advice-Centre/Road-and-Vehicle-Safety/Speed-Awareness-Courses.aspx

However whether it is 35 or 36, really would make little difference, the decision to offer the course is optional and if the course is not offered then the choice is a fixed penalty or court.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi yes but NDORS has different courses if you have attended a careful and considerate driving course within the last three years but not a speed awareness course and you meet the threshold could you still potentially be offered one or is it out of the question

The normal rule is that if you have attended any of the courses within 3 years then a second course is not offered.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are you 100% sure about this, if you have attended any of the courses then the second course is not offered so if you have attended a safe and considerate driving course within three years but this time it was to do with speed even though you haven’t attended a speed awareness course in three years because you have attended the other one then you will not be allowed to how sure are you about this
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
but there are 7 different types of courses NDORS offer.If you have attended a completed separate topic course within three years does that mean even if you haven’t attended another topic course for three years then you still cannot attend the other one

That is my understanding, if a person has been offered any one of the courses within 3 years, then a second course would not be offered.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are you 100% sure on this
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please read this attachment and tell me what you think

As I say, that is my understanding of the courses, if you have attend one, then you cannot attend another within 3 years.

For example two speed Awareness course cannot be attended in 3 years, likewise you cannot attend a driver improvement course if a speed course has taken place in 3 years. Some can be taken as they are not alike, but that does not apply to all courses.
That is my understanding of this issue. If in doub5 you can call one of the providers and double check.

But also remember any offer of a course is also optional.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry.