How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4485
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am in an unfair situation at work where I have been given

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am in an unfair situation at work where I have been given a 1st written warning
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Work Management and HR are involved in it, they were the ones sanctioning me I haven’t contacted a lawyer
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was in a union however the subscription expired as they weren’t able to take money from my account, so as soon as I had this issue I contacted them and they informed of my subscription issue and said that they wouldn’t be able to help
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
How may I assist?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, thank you for replying my inquiry and nice to meet you James.
So the situation I am in was due to the fact that at my work place they stopped people from wearing puffer jackets ( my coat is faux fur by the way) inside the working area because people were stealing and because of “safety”. At the end of the month of March, I was entering the building and a security must have called me regarding my food plastic bag, as I was rushing To clock in I carried on walking. On my way in there is a manager that is leaving the building and as soon as he sees me, he starts shouting at me saying that I am not allowed to wear my coat inside the building which I replied by stating that I am cold in the first place and I am not a thief. Long story short we were going back and forth and he calls a HR member which then lead this in me being suspended from work for serious insubordination. I was called for an investigation meeting and then 2 disciplinary meetings. I tried to argue that it was an unfair decision for accusing me of that because of my jacket and keeping in mind that HR and Management are allowed their own jackets in and Associates like me and many others are not allowed. During the meetings I proved them that in the policy it states that all employees from my company from all around the world must follow the policies and that the puffer jacket does not apply to me as my jacket is not even puffer. Moving forward I went for my last meeting on Wednesday and a few minutes ago they emailed me concluding that I was given a 1st written warning which I am clearly not happy with.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry for the long text
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is more info to it but I had to cut it a little bit
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hope you are still there James as I took a little bit longer to reply
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.
Then as they have given you a written warning, they should have a procedure whereby you can appeal and challenge that decision.

Therefore, if you are unhappy and not willing to accept the warning, then lodge an appeal against their decision.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. Yes there is the option to appeal, however I am afraid they have completely disregarded my part of the story. My work place is well known for mistreating and abusing people and because the power is in their hands I am really worried.
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Unfortunately, that is the only option open to you, either appeal, or accept their decision.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Alright, thank you for your help
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much, appreciated.
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Your very welcome.