Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I HAVE JUST COMPLETED A WILL FOR MYSELF AND ANOTHER FOR MY

Customer Question

I HAVE JUST COMPLETED A WILL FOR MYSELF AND ANOTHER FOR MY WIFE,
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: WALES
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I HAVE COMPLETED A WILL FOR MYSELF AND ANOTHER FOR MY WIFE ONLINE AND HAVE THE PRINTED OFF
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: NO I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THEY ARE LEGAL AND IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE TO DO
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I ask if you have written these yourself from scratch or have you used some form of DIY tool or will pack to make the Wills please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I used Freewill online
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. You will appreciate I cannot specifically confirm the will you have made is valid without sight of the documents but in general terms, a will will be valid if it is in writing, signed by you in the presence of two witnesses where you sign in their presence and they then sign in yours. The witnesses must not be a beneficiary under the will. in addition, at the time of signing, you must have the mental capacity to make the will and understand the effect it will have and you must have made the will voluntarily and without pressure from anyone else.

if you would like me to consider the Wills you have made specifically, you are welcome to upload them using the "add file" button/icon.

Notwithstanding the above, obviously, by using a free service, though the will itself may be correctly prepared, it will only be as good as the information you put into the system and a free will may not be suitable if your estate is subject to tax nor may it cover all matters which you may need to consider. Therein lies the benefit of receiving professional advice in relation to a will but this is obviously a question of weighing up cost and benefit and if you consider your affairs are very straightforward, you may not consider this worth the money

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That is fine as the wills are very straightforward. Do we keep them in our possession?
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

you can keep the Wills somewhere safe whether this is with you, with your bank, solicitors or elsewhere. You may alternatively wish to provide at least a copy of the Wills to your chosen executor or executors or at least tell your executor where they are being kept. some people also decide to roll their wills on the National Wills database there is no requirement to do so:

https://www.nationalwillregister.co.uk/