How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3038
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My daughter was the legal guardian of a child who had a

Customer Question

My daughter was the legal guardian of a child who had a bursary to a private school in short a free place. When it came to the sixth form the child decided not to attend and left the guardianship of my daughter. The school are demanding school fees for the first term of the sixth form £11000 on the grounds that not enough notice was given even though had she actually attended the sixth form there would have been no fee.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: It is not a family court issue the school have sent a demand letter before court action.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: it is not a family court issue
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  I agree this is not a family court matter.  It would fall. under contact law.  In which case the first thing you require to do is look or obtain a copy of any agreement you have in relation to the school fees, bursary and school attendance etc.  You will want to look through these to see if there is any such provision to state that they can legally enforce the fees they are seeking.  If you find this but do not quite understand, which is common, then we could look at reviewing it for you.  However, if there is one it should determine whether they can legally enforce tis or not.  However, if there is not such contactual provision then it may be up to a judge to determine whether the payment requested by them is legally enforceable.  Once you have looked at the contact, if you feel they may have a right to claim this then It would be worth looking at instructing a solicitor at this point to see if any resolution can be made in the matter or if the case could be successful defended.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.