How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 28947
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My grandma i believe is being persuaded to leave her home of

Customer Question

My grandma i believe is being persuaded to leave her home of nearly 60 years to go into care. It's my understanding she wants to stay at home and gave care at home.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My wife and we're caring for her we moved out and she has a live in carer. Her needs have become beyond the capacity of one live in carer but she could have extra support by releasing equity from her home
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Her daughter my auntie is controlling the situation trying to save money from her inheritance but I don't think she acying within good will
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be.

  1. May I confirm if your grandmother has mental capacity to make decisions for herself please?
  2. Is she in danger remaining at home?
  3. may I clarify who is attempting to persuade her to move into care?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
1. Yes
2. Not with adequate care
3. Her daughter has persuaded her without my involvement because my grandma has said she wants to die at home on numerous occasions. The minute I was out of the picture it was decided without discussion that would go into care
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

thank you. The starting point, is that it is your grandmother's decision as regards ***** ***** wishes to stay at home or go into care. If it is impossible to provide adequately for her care at home, it may be that social services would be able to obtain a court order if your grandmother is determined to stay at home. However, social services were generally attempt to work with an individual, putting in place for example a care package for care at home so far as possible. Beyond that, for example if your grandmother required full-time care, it would depend upon her ability to fund this is the local authority would not fund full-time care within the home on cost grounds. It would usually be under the circumstances that local authorities would look at other options if they were unable to work with individual in respect of care needs and there were no family members available in this respect.

from what you describe, this is the case of your aunt persuading your grandmother. If she has persuaded your grandmother of this and this is your grandmother's wish, then there is little that can be done in this regard however you can report to social services that you consider that your grandmother is potentially being abused in relation to undue influence been placed upon her and social services will decide how to act on that report may arrange a visit with your grandmother without your aunts presence. Also of course you can consider speaking to your grandmother on the matter and ask if she wants any support in this respect